Claiming a fee remittance for a GRC

The standard fee for a UK gender recognition certificate is £140.

However you may not have to pay if:

  • You have less than £3000 in savings/other property and investments (over £16000 if you are 61 or over) AND
  • You EITHER claim certain benefits (in general, the income related ones) OR you earn less than £1085 each month before tax (if you have dependent children, the monthly threshold goes up by £245 per child – so for one kid, you can earn £1330 before you have to pay etc.).

If your income is no more than £280 over the relevant threshold (e.g. you have no children and earn less than £1365) you may be able to claim a partial rebate – basically, for every £20 you earn over the threshold, you have to pay £10 of the fee. (So if you have no kids, and earn £1105 per month and are below the savings limit, you will have to pay a tenner towards the fee, and the rest is free).

You should not include your partner’s income, and you should fill out the fee remittance form as if you are single, even if you are married or cohabiting. This is because your partner is deemed to have a ‘competing interest’ in your gender recognition application (even if they are supportive).

Not all sources of money and income are counted – for example, student loan payments and the house you live in don’t count towards the savings threshold.

There are forms and guidance notes available online with more details.

You will need to swear a statutory declaration in front of a solicitor. This costs a set fee of £5 and you should be able to do it at any high street solicitor. (Occasionally solicitors will quote you a higher figure – they are probably thinking of the fee for drawing up a statutory declaration, rather than simply witnessing one).

You may also have to pay for medical reports to support your Gender Recognition application. It is essentially at the doctor’s discretion whether and how much they charge you for this (£50-£60 per report isn’t unheard of), and you cannot necessarily get a reduction if you are on a low income. However, it is worth talking to the doctor or practice manager if the amount they plan to charge is acting as a barrier to you applying. For one of the medical reports, the one which is from a specialist and contains details of your diagnosis, it may be possible to use a copy of your original diagnosis letter, if you still have it. (The suitable kind of letter will generally be a fairly detailed letter from a GIC or private UK gender specialist with some details of your early consultation(s), and saying they diagnose you with transsexualism/gender dysphoria/gender identity disorder or similar – the exact wording has changed over the years). The Gender Recognition Panel have a list of specialists, but they have stated that the list is only indicative . If you have a report from someone else who might meet the criteria for being a UK specialist (e.g. a doctor or psychologist who works at a gender clinic but is not named on that list), that may be acceptable. You may be asked for more information to demonstrate that they meet the criteria.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s